Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Visualize - nice and easy

Okay - just visualize. The door, the chair, the feeling of contentment or productivity. Be it.

It's interesting. I've preached visualization. I believe in it. I've grown up using this buzz word. But it feels like, just lately, I really figured out how to DO it.

And for me, it has more to do with the feeling of the action, moment, event, than it does with the visuals.

A few years ago, I had a huge panic attack about a trip we were going take, because the weather was frustrating. So I sat myself down and drove myself along the road. I couldn't visualize every turn, but I could feel the spots that might be scary, or that I might feel out of control. So I drove it, over and over, creating a mantra in head, feeling the slow and steady pace of the vehicle, the calm deep breathing of the Lila, the safe and triumphant arrival.

Easy, peasy.

And when, in reality, I came to scary moments, I had the mantra already on my tongue - and my breathing slow and easy.

The other day, I realized I'm having a lot of panic attacks. Maybe little ones, but still, panic is panic. The future feels so unsteady and uncertain. But, if I visualize myself moving through it - calm and steady, feeling the keyboard, the hearth and home, the confidence on a job well done and the happiness of doing what feeds me - I feel better.

Yesterday, because I had felt  myself moving steadily through the day, one step at a time, doing my best at the job in front of me, I actually did more than I might have without the visualization. Yesterday, I could easily have gone back to bed. But I had already desired myself to work through the day.

So I did.

Yay me!

And because it worked so well yesterday, today, we're doing the same. I have already visualized my day of productivity and accomplishment and, most of all, calm and steady movement. Not step by step (first I pay this bill, then I write that word), but simply the feeling of working, and the feeling at the end of the trip, of accomplishment.

It's going to be an amazing day!

-Lila

No comments:

Post a Comment