Thursday, December 17, 2015

I'll do it my way

There is only one way I, personally, can do things. And that is the way I do things.

I may learn and practice and try new ways of doing things, but in the end, the only way I can do things is the way I DO things.

There are a myriad of suggestions, and how-tos, and self helps, and "I have the answers." And yes, each and every person does have the answer. For themselves. For that time.

But the best answers, the truest answers, are how we each, individually, take the advise and suggestions and how-to's that strike our fancy, and make them work for us.

The example today is a post I read on WritersDigest.com. (The Blog is "Writer's Dig", by Brian Klems; this piece is a guest column.)
Let's see if I can link to it...Yes, drill sergeant!
In it, Matt Meyer dictates a start up schedule focused totally on writing. Which sounds lovely! Oh, yes, sign me up!

Except...

I don't hit the ground typing. I mean, I like to clear my head with a bit of journaling, yes. So I do start my day writing. (yay!) For me, that clears the system of the nightly cobwebs. Then there's the rest of the body wake up ritual. It takes about two hours, and it includes stretching, and spiritual practice, and breakfast.

THEN I move into my work day (though I do consider body and mind care work also. It's all work. Because it requires effort.) And that, I have to do my way also.

But I'm not going to immediately throw his suggestions out the window. Because a)some of them really clicked. The focus. The determination. The part about NOT being on social media while eating. And the part where he talks about what it means to be an experienced writer. And b)oh, yeah. That total dedication and immediate action is how I really want to behave. I want to write first! and do all the admin stuff later.

So it's something to put into my brain, and see how it rolls around and works itself out to fit into MY way.

(and I'm thinking my way needs some brushing up on proper typing of names and articles and....)

No comments:

Post a Comment